1. If possible, walk away from the problem and get some fresh air. A walk, even a brief one, will provide space from the scene of the stress and enable some breathing space so as to calm down. A change of scenery can be exceptionally therapeutic.
2. Reading a novel with a gripping storyline can help with a mental escape from any stressful situation. Troubles can dissipate along with any tension and a few good chapters of reading will have provided enough time out to be able to face any situation more calmly.
3. Meditation is often overlooked or viewed as too difficult when in fact; the truth couldn’t be more different. There is no mystery to the techniques; it only requires regular practice and a focus on the intent of clearing the mind.
4. Herbal teas can be an excellent aid to relaxation. Trial and error will soon ascertain the best calming teas for the individual but chamomile is a renowned favourite for de-stressing and relieving tension.
5. It’s possible to buy stress-busting toys. There may be a fun aspect to them but squeezing a stress ball and pummelling it into shape or getting a punch bag and focussing all that inner aggression on it, can certainly help to alleviate any frustrations and prevent it from turning inwards.
6. Watch a comedy DVD. It’s virtually impossible to stay tense when something is funny. Even five or ten minutes will make a big difference to any stress levels.
7. Breathing of course is vitally important but when someone is stressed, they become tense and their breathing becomes erratic. Take five minutes away from the stressful situation and focus on the breath. Counting the breath in and out will help to focus the mind and relieve tension.