The wise King Solomon of old was quoted as saying, “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that rules his spirit than he that takes a city,” in the Book of Proverbs chapter sixteen verse thirty-two. Emotional success entails self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management which not only add to one’s emotional wellness but also social wellness, physical and even spiritual wellness.
The journey towards attaining a state of emotional wellness is ever a journey of increasing emotional success, as they say, success is a journey, not a destination. No man can claim to have attained a perfect state of emotional success because every day presents a new window of emotional challenge. All we do is to improve daily, by learning how to handle each challenge that presents itself through practicing a few things.
Learn How to Handle Each Challenge By Practicing These Things
- Know your stressors and how to deal with them because you can only have a solution to the problem you are aware of.
- Know how to dissipate your emotional energy constructively, for example, watch your favorite comedy or eat your best snack when frustrated.
- Mediation or yoga help restore calmness and decrease emotional outburst. This is an ancient practice in the East and across the world now to achieve a reprieve emotionally within a very short time.
- Deal with it there and then. If you have been offended, deal with it there and then, inform the person responsible. This prevents you from carrying unnecessary grudges.
- Share it out, this helps reduce your emotional baggage- a problem shared is a problem half-solved.
- Seek help from a spiritual elder or a counselor they help you manage the stress and frustration. Prayer and counsel works at all odds.
Physical exercise plays a great role in one’s emotional health besides physical fitness.
A visit to the gym or a jog alongside a friend causes great relief from any form of emotional turmoil.
To get better and better, we need to evaluate ourselves now and then to keep check of our progress.
Rome was never built in a day and a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
So is our pursuit of emotional wellness. We frequently need a standard to mirror ourselves against now and then as a sure way that we are in the right path of increasing emotional success, when:
- You can easily get over frustrations that is, you never spend a whole day or two groaning over something coz if it happened it happened.
- You can bounce back from a frustrating and disappointing ordeal without carrying grudges. This is indeed a true test of emotional maturity, coz people who are emotionally mature easily let go and incur no emotional scars.
- Not easily irritable or offended.
- Your emotions do not affect your performance at work, school or interfere with your normal functioning or impair sound judgment.
- You can control your anger most of the time.
- You can work alongside annoying colleagues and bosses without being worked up.
- You are not an emotional extremist- not overly excited or extremely angered.
- No displacement of emotions- you don’t direct your frustrations to people who had nothing to do it.
- You have a stress management plan.
- You can open up and share your frustrations and even seek help about it.
- You easily get over relatively small offending situations and easily forget them.
- You can make lemonade out the lemons- gaining from the emotional setbacks.
There is a full range of benefits we gain from increasing emotional success, with decreased emotional baggage, one achieves a state of emotional wellness and rest, no more sleepless nights, fatigue or light-headedness. A well-managed emotional life, not perturbed by internal or external emotional stressors culminates achieves inner peace. Having achieved a state of emotional well-being enables one to deal with people, some who prove difficult to handle, confidently and with ease. This greatly increases one’s self-esteem.
A state of emotional wellness translates to increased self-awareness and self-assurance hence improving self-esteem.
Emotional healthy people build lasting and healthy relationships socially and even career-wise, even with the most difficult and unreasonable people because they don’t easily lose their hold. Also, being emotionally healthy renders good physical health because it minimizes the incidences of the lifestyle diseases e.g. Hypertension which is as a result poor stress management. Therefore, being in control of your emotions translates to lots of benefits from good physical health to a successful career and social relationships. Hence emotional success is worth pursuing at all costs.